Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reno in 1953 - video

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reno in 1953 - video Reply with quote

Here's some great video of Reno and a bit from Lake Tahoe from 1953. It's in color and has a nice little jazz piece playing in the background. I can't take credit for it (I wasn't born quite yet) but it looks like Reno was The Happening Place!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYvNEaNSOQQ

Wouldn't a time travel machine be a riot! We could have a VisitReno group meeting at Harold's Club in '53!

I know there was a few of the "Gentlemen of the Old West" slots either at the Nevada Club or at Harold's when I first went there. Pretty neat collector's items.

Last edited by BC Dave on Aug Sun 25, 2013 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's classic! I'd never seen or heard of those Gentlemen of the Old West slots, truly unique! I can't be for certain, but I think there's a similar item in the window of the antique store on Virginia in Midtown, but it's a tabletop top half of Uncle Sam. I'll have to check. Also just noticed that the old Reno Arch appears a bit similar to the smaller one that's now on Lake Street. Learn something new everyday...

One thing that's most coincidental that I just recently found out about myself: The original Harold's Club logo (you know, the one with the jackass and the wagon that says "Harold's Club or Bust!") was originally created by Roy Powers, who happens to be the recently deceased husband of one of my freelance clients here! He was an advertising executive for many years before he retired and started doing his paintings. Small world. If you all would like to see some of the most awesome acrylics, giclees, and pen-and-inks of historic Reno area landmarks, check out his site:

http://www.roypowers.com

Every painting has a story, and I think my favorite one is the Halfway Club. It speaks of the prohibition days, where citizens would avoid arrest during raids by simply moving to one side of the bar or the other, as it was situated right on the Reno/Sparks border. Funny, I can think of about 10 different bars in Mammoth that should be set up like that : )

I'm truly honored to have the experience of working with her, and I've learned so much about this area, old and new, ever since!
JD

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great collection I've never seen before. MY favorite was the Liberty Bell Saloon (best prime rib ever).

As recently as 2000 (I think) The Comstock had two of those "Gentlemen of the old West" on the mezzanine,

And I really miss the old Nevada Club in that first film clip. NO BLAZING SEVENS, all machines were coin drop and old fashioned KENO. The cafe upstairs at the Nevada Club had this great snack bar/cafe with waitresses that had worked there 60 years!

7 Blaze dude; Can you place the Nevada Club location?
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Old Times Reply with quote

As far as I know that sign on Lake Street is the old sign from Virginia St.

I never ventured into the Liberty Bell despite hearing about it's great prime rib and walking by it many times. Another regret! Crying or Very sad

But I didn't miss out on Kilroy's diner in the Nevada Club. Stopped there for a snack quite a few times after playing some mechanical nickles and having a beer at the Bomber Bar.
CaSwede

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Video. I wonder if there might be more videos out there? I was amused at the section where they show some people playing slots. They were all standing....no sitting in those days.

They have the one of those "Gentlemen of the Old West" slots at the Pioneer in Laughlin. Up to a few years ago you could still play it.

That is a good collection from Roy Powers. I was surprised to see that many of those places are still in existence.
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I thought that old Reno arch looked familiar, but had no clue it was the same one! For those travelling to Reno with pets, just a heads up that the little area in between there and that tall building on the right hand side of the road behind it is an awesome place to walk dogs here downtown - one of the few little grassy strips around here. It's an awesome chill spot too.

Yes, Roy's work is awesome. He was truly an influential person around these parts and later got involved with the Chamber and many other organizations.

Mammothgambler
Shooty

PostPosted: Mar Wed 13, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic video, thank you for linking it.

The Reno Nevada Club was on Virginia, immediately south of Harold's Club and north of what's now Harrah's. The Stateline Nevada Club later in the video eventually became Barney's, then Bill's.

The Wagon Wheel, shown 5 minutes in, is what later became known as Harvey's.

Wish I had memories of those places, looks like a lot of fun to be had.
stan_allen

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Videos that will age you... Reply with quote

That's Virginia Street??!!

Holy cannoli....the times, they were about to be a-changin'....

Thanks, as always - it's good to be shown times and places which were a million times cooler than any time or place I am likely to occupy in my own life.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: One problem Reply with quote

It looks like Reno catered to a lower income crowd back in those days. I didn't see any new cars...the latest one in the video was from the early fifties.

We should post videos from 2013 so future generations can say, "Wow it bet Reno was wonderful back then. Especially with all the great meal deals, comps and room offers". Right, JD?
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar Fri 15, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Stan, have you seen this one? Reply with quote

This music video is from 1984. I've posted links to it before but since many of you may have missed it - so I'm glad to repost. It may be my favorite Reno video yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtG-vFgvf-s

The Reno sequences start around the 1:30 mark, but I think you'll find the whole thing entertaining. Quite funny and kind of a catchy tune too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: