Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Segway tours

View previous topic :: View next topic  
remano

PostPosted: Jul Sat 05, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Segway tours Reply with quote

This looks like fun - a 2.5 hour seven mile guided tour around the downtown area on a Segway. Cost is $65.

http://rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080704/NEWS18/80704033&OAS_sitepage=news.rgj.com%2Fbreakingnews
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul Thu 10, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: I want one, I want one, I want one, I want one, I want one Reply with quote

Thanks for the lead, Remano. Marlene and I just returned from the Segway tour of Reno, and it's really cool. Since we're locals and didn't want the full tour and we were the only travelers at the time, the guide just led us around town for awhile, where we raced around the rink where the old Mapes once stood. Then we took the river trail west to the end, which is way past Idlewild Park then back to the Silver Legacy. Part way through the ride, we stopped for some coffee at a little shop near the river.

The Segways take about 3.7 seconds to learn to drive and about 10 minutes to become proficient. Lean forward to go forward, back to go back and rock the handlebar to go left or right. They start you out in "turtle mode", which tops out at about 6 mph and is slow to respond. After a few minutes of riding around, turtle mode is turned off for a faster (12 mph) and more responsive machine.

The downsides: You must wear a helmet and must not drive maniacally.

Segways are a great way to get around, especially considering fuel costs, but are kinda pricey at around $5,000. Thank goodness Alison offered to buy me one as a gesture of appreciation for deleting her post.

Our next planned adventure is a hellofacopter ride up to Emerald Bay in a few weeks.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul Fri 11, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Segways and Starfighters Reply with quote

The Segway tours sound cool. I'm still trying to get to Reno in my Starfighter. I pull back on the stick and the thing blasts into the air. The acceleration makes me pull the stick back further. At 6.5 G's I black out. When I wake up, I push the stick forward and scan the horizon for Reno. So far I haven't even seen Nevada.
stan_allen

PostPosted: Jul Fri 11, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Starfighter in flight....afternoon delight! Reply with quote

Good thing the Starfighter's equipped with a wireless connection, so you don't miss a single update on the VisitReno.com message board!
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul Fri 11, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: wireless? Reply with quote

Actually it's a 32kb/sec wired connection. Fortunately the wire's 2500 miles long and spools out nicely from the underside of the plane. I have always landed within that range and use google maps to find my way home.

What's this got to do with visiting Reno? Hmmm.

I'll get back to you on that.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul Sat 12, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: NO, no, not here Reply with quote

Dave, you should be posting these on my sister site, missingreno.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: