Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot August Nights need help.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VAPA

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Hot August Nights need help. Reply with quote

I was there about 4-5 years ago and want to come back. Do I want to stay in Tahoe or Reno (no chariot) ? Last time stayed at the Sands Regency the price was right, so do I want to upgrade to Peppermill/ Atlantis, ElDorado/ Sierra or Sands Regency I have a good rate. Would I want to use Priceline to bid ? The idea is to come in on Sunday (August 2 )and leave om Thursday. The rates appear to be qiite a bit higher on the weekends. Is there a code for certain hotels for this time frame ? Thanks. tvcinema@hotmail.com
alison

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only advice would be to book sooner then later. The closer you get to the event, the more pricey. Its pretty early for any online codes, and most would be void during that time period as it is a huge event in Reno.
VAPA

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would you say to stay in Reno or Lake Tahoe. Would you recommend coming in on July 29 or stay with August 2 (Sunday). How about staying for the 7-9. Thanks.
mommy2boys

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be in the middle of things, stay in Reno at one of the downtown hotels. Getting into Reno during Hot August Nights can be a nightmare, so I recomend staying in Reno.

As for getting a good deal on a room, I would call the hotel directly to see if they have any specials. After that check on line and see who has the best rates. But if you want a room in Reno during the event, you need to book NOW.

Have fun!!!
Erin
alison

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest staying downtown reno. The 29th thru the 2nd will probably be cheaper then he 7-9th. There is more going on over the later weekend, but there still is stuff going on early too.

Is there a price range you are trying to stay in?
VAPA

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time there I stayed at the Sands Regency because the price was right. This time from August 2-5 $45 less a discount. Just wondering if they've done an upgrades to the property (rooms). Basically as long as it's clean and safe I'm pretty happy as I won't be spending that much time in the room. Would I spend more for the Peppermill (would downtown be better than here and a pool is kind of important) / Silver Legacy/etc. yes but it would depend. Peppermill for say $50 I'm there, $60 probably. Harrah's doesn't do a lot for me the Eldorado I really can't say. Would Tripadvisor give me some good feedback on the properties. How's mass transit as there is no chariot. Should there be much trouble getting to the venues. What goes on from July 29 - August 2 is it anytghing to write home about ? If, things go right I may go July 29-August 9. Thanks.
remano

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" and a pool is kind of important).... How's mass transit as there is no chariot."

Sounds to me like you're describing the Peppermill if you are satisfied with the rate they offer. With the new expansion it now has the best pool area in town. Mass transit is no problem, the bus stops right in front and it's a straight shot up Virginia Street to downtown with no transfers. I think it's now $2 per trip or you can buy a multi-day pass. There are also usually plenty of cabs available, and if you're energetic the trek to downtown is walkable, I would say just over 2 miles. There are also some HAN activities at the Peppermill so some days you might not even want to leave.

I agree that Lake Tahoe is not a good home base for HAN. It's worth a trip up there during your stay, but the HAN events are in Reno and the trip from the lake is too much to be doing every day, especially if your activities include a few cold beverages.

Have a good time!!
VAPA

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there some decent restaurants in close proximity to the Peppermill. Thanks.
mommy2boys

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There are also usually plenty of cabs available, and if you're energetic the trek to downtown is walkable, I would say just over 2 miles. There are also some HAN activities at the Peppermill so some days you might not even want to leave."

My hubby and I decieded the walk from downtown to the Pep "wasn't that long". OMG, we were so wrong. It was screaming hot that day. About 1/2 way there we were begging/flagging/praying for a cab, finally one saw us and picked us up. I have never been so happy to get into a cab in my life!

I would recomend taking transit or a cab to get to downtown. Laughing

Erin
alison

PostPosted: Apr Mon 13, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on a Fri/ Sat night, its going to be hard to find a room for $50.00 a night...maybe at the Sands, but thats about it.

I recieved an offer via e-mail from the Eldorado. Use promo code BOOKEARLY. It is good into August.
VAPA

PostPosted: Apr Mon 13, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
ErininSD

PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just booked my HAN trip, 8/6 - 8/10.

If you want to be there for the events, you need to go later in the week. The finale is the 2nd weekend in August.

Definitely stay in Reno if HAN is the reason for your trip.

Personally, I want to book the Peppermill, but I have to try to score two comped rooms since my friend has never played there. If it was just myself I know I could get 1 comped room. The other option is for my friend and I to both get comped room's at Harrahs.

Like I said, I prefer to stay at the Peppermill, it's easy in/out and close to Atlantis which is another HAN hotspot.

Are you planning on renting a car? This is an awesome ID code to use at Alamo ID 7012298. Couple it with a coupon code from Costco and you can get a pretty cheap rental car. I've been shopping around and without the ID code, the rates are pretty high.
ErininSD

PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VAPA wrote:
Are there some decent restaurants in close proximity to the Peppermill. Thanks.

The Peppermill has some decent restaurants. We liked Biscotti's (awesome French Dip!) and the Coffee Shop always is good IMO. Very Happy The Steakhouse can be hit and miss. (great nights and so-so nights).

If you want awesome pizza, then Nu Yalk pizza is probably 1.5 miles away from the Peppermill.

Oh, I forgot about Palace De Jade, is it still there on Moana and Lakeside? Really good chinese food and a good lunch bargain. It's probably 1.5 miles away too.
VAPA

PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erinin have you thought about going to Priceline to bid for a car. You would know to bid cheap just a thought. How come August 6-10 instead of earlier ? Will consider your imput. Thanks.
alison

PostPosted: Apr Fri 17, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erin-
BTW the Steakhouse at the Pep is no longer. At least the one we used to go to... Its now Bimini.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: